On the advent of every major summer international tournament it seems only fitting to relive Maradona's "Goal of the Century". In the blazing hot sun of México City's famed Estádio Azteca, Diego Maradona scored one of the games iconic individual efforts. Jorge Benjardino has recreated the famous slaloming goal in flip-book form and it's a real joy.
In March 2013, West Ham United were awarded a 99-year lease to the Olympic Stadium in Stratford, east London. And on 10 May, the Hammers will play their final match at Upton Park. As they prepare to move after 112 years of history and memories, fans whose lives have revolved around the old stadium, the Boleyn Ground, reflect on what will be lost.
Eight by Eight’s 8th issue presents 116 beautiful pages dedicated to the beautiful game: football. Inside, you’ll find long-form features penned by some of the world’s most acclaimed journalists; vibrant illustration and photography; and aggressive, modern design.
· The New Prince of Italy: Marco Verratti is never happier than when he’s suiting up for the Azzurri. By Paolo Bandini and Roger Neve.
· 100 Years of Fortitude: Copa America has been small, big, bad, and great over the past 100 years, and this year’s party should be the best yet. By Jonathan Wilson and Ben Kirchner.
· Inside the Mystic: Running Chelsea like a benevolent Rasputin, there’s no disputin’ the magical spell cast by Roman Abramovich. By Simon Kuper and Diego Patino.
· Two-footed. Single-minded: Fabian Johnson may have been born and raised in Munich, but his heart is 100% with the USMNT. By Uli Hesse.
· All Eyes on Paul: Paul Pogba might already be the best box-to-box midfielder on the planet. But leading France to victory will take more than skill alone. By Paolo Bandini.
· Patrick and the Third Rail: What the hell is Patrick Vieira doing in New York? By Corley Miller and Andrew Hetherington.
· The Last Great Tournament: After these championships, no more cockeyed carnivals of revelry, pageantry, and celebration. By John Doyle and Jungyeon Roh.
· The Face of a Nation: There’s a reason why Karim Benzema is absent from France’s hall of idols. And it starts with his name. By Philippe Auclair.
Plus: Joachim Löw, Zlatan Ibrahimović, Paulo Dybala, England vs. Wales, and Robin van Persie’s sad Euro 2016 watch party.
Create What You Love. Share it With the World.
Have you ever wanted to start something new? Like it's in your heart and bones and you just have to go for it. The kind of passion where you feel like if you don't at least give it a proper try, something inside you will die? The sort of endeavor that even if you fail, at least you will have tried and learned something about yourself and the world along the way? That’s the engine that’s driven World F.C. from the beginning.
What is it that you are truly passionate about? Whatever your answer is, chances are good that if you thought about it long enough, you could trace the thread back in time to the moment it captured your interest for the first time.
For me, my passion for football/soccer/futbol (calico, fussball, etc.) all started during the 1986 World Cup with a t-shirt my parents bought me that paid homage to Maradona and other famous no. 10s. That first piece of football apparel was pure magic! It was my introduction to world football; my first taste of being connected to a wider world much bigger than my young mind could imagine at the time – an experience brought together by a mosaic of clubs and countries, footballing styles and strategies, rivalries and derbies, stadia and foreign player names I couldn't yet pronounce.
Looking back, you just might say that the summer of '86 was when World Football Clothing began, I just didn't know it at the time. Today our passion is being inspired by the beautiful game, creating uniquely designed shirts and sharing them with the world.
While club football has risen to prominence in recent years, it was the international game that grabbed my attention and introduced me to a wider world of football some years ago. There's something uniquely compelling about the burst of culture and color that comes out at the marquee international summer tournaments when the nations come together, each bringing their own vibrant flair to the festivities. We can hardly wait for Euro 2016 and the Copa América Centenario!
As always we have been looking for fresh inspiration and new ideas. We’re putting the finishing touches on some new apparel. We've picked out our colors and we can't wait to bring this new collection to you. So look for it to drop soon!
Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org with stories or pictures of your first piece of football apparel. We'd love to hear and see what first got you into the game!
P.S. If you love the magic and mystique surrounding the games greatest to have pulled on the number 10 shirt, then you will definitely want to check out the latest issue of HOWLER Magazine called 'Of Gods and Ten'.
112 PAGES OF FEATURE WRITING, PROFILES, ESSAYS, HUMOR, AND, OF COURSE, PLENTY OF ORIGINAL ILLUSTRATION AND PHOTOGRAPHY
• WHAT TO SAY NEXT TIME SOMEONE SAYS “WHAT IF AMERICA’S BEST ATHLETES PLAYED SOCCER?”
•WE SPEND A DAY AND A NIGHT WITH DAVID VILLA AS HE PLOTS HIS NEXT CAREER MOVE
• RUSSIA’S BENIGN OLIGARCH, THE OWNER OF FC KRASNODAR
• JÜRGEN KLOPP BRINGS THE GEGENPRESS TO ANFIELD
• ABBY WAMBACH’S FINAL MATCH
• WHAT’S HOLDING BACK THE U.S. YOUTH DEVELOPMENT SYSTEM?
•PHOTO ESSAY: ENGLISH FOOTBALL BEFORE THE PREMIER LEAGUE
• THE MAVERICK DESIGNERS REIMAGINING THE IDENTITIES OF CLUBS BIG, SMALL, AND FICTITIOUS
• THE MANY ISSUES FACING RUSSIA AHEAD OF THE 2018 WORLD CUP
Ever wondered what goes into the famous choreographed tifosi of Borussia Dortmund's Yellow Wall? We go behind the scenes of The Unity to see all detail, design and beauty behind some of world football's most creative choreos.
If you enjoy the 'Yellow Wall' as much as we do, be sure to check out our 'Yellow Wall' shirt in our shop!
As the Derby Della Madonnina returns to center stage once again this weekend, we are pleased to share two new shirts honoring the rich tradition of this storied rivalry between Internazionale Milan and AC Milan. From Zanetti to Maldini, Ronaldo to Van Basten, Ibrahimovic to Kaká, over the years this rivalry has featured some of the game's finest players to have played the game. Long live the Milan Derby!
Pick a side and show your colors!
Shop the Milan Derby shirts now at WORLD F.C.